Sunday, May 26, 2013

Why An E-Book?



First off, let me start by saying, I'm a book lover.  I own thousands of hardcover, paperback, special editions, first printings, and even rare books.  I love to feel the texture of pulp paper, the smell of a freshly turned page, the heft of a massive tome in my lap, it's a sensory feast.  But those things have little to do with the content of the actual book.  

I'm not going to lie, I still buy my fair share of printed books.  (In fact, I'm looking forward to receiving my copy of David Duchemin's fine art book Seven in mid June.  A book I would have paid 2 or 3 times the actual price, just to own one of the 1000 copies available.)  That alone should have had me thinking about traditional publishing for my book, right?  So why did I choose to create my book as an e-book?

To be honest, I've watched the world filling with tablets and e-readers at an ever increasing rate.  While I cannot say I own one, I do have plans in the near future to make that purchase.  As of today, I use my personal computer or laptop to view and read all of my e-publications.  I have a vast collection of e-books and e-magazines varying in genre and style.  I love the wide gamut of work from various authors, the diverse range of e-magazines available, some only in the e-format.  Does this mean I will one day only purchase e-publications?  Not likely.  But there is a certain appeal, an unabated ability to spread work worldwide at the push of a button.  It is that exact reason, I made the difficult choice to share my work this way.

The decision was not an easy one, in fact, it was one I wrestled with at great lengths.  I know through research, I have a small group of people who would still love to see this work I've created in a printed form- regardless of the price.  The problem, in my case, was the desire to reach as many people as possible and not just a select few.  

The work I created is more than a book of photographs and stories.  It's about a personal journey.  One that I hope will inspire some, rekindle a passion in others, and entertain at the very least a handful of readers.  That is why I choose the e-format.  I want the work to be viewed, readable, portable, and at best affordable.  I opted to leave the cost of creating the book out of the price.  No one should have to pay for my choices, my adventures, or my new gear.  Instead, I hope people will buy and consume the book much like a great cup of coffee or a deliciously rich dessert.  I want to leave the reader feeling both satisfied, but also wanting to enjoy its pleasures again another day.

These choices, also had a direct effect on how I created the price for the e-book.  I wanted the price to work in a fashion that created value.  I give many gifts through my work on-line.  These are all free to view and enjoy.  But value, actual cost, brings a sense of worth to the reader.  When you are willing to purchase something, it's a conscious decision.  It adds a bit of pride in ownership, that doesn't come from free gifts.

I don't see this step as the death of traditional publishing.  I see this as an opportunity to reach a greater audience.  Many people feared the introduction of the home video market years ago. Claiming the end of movie theaters.  I mean, having movies available to watch over and over in the comforts of your own home at 1/10 the price should have closed every movie house in the world.  Yet the industry thrives.  People still go to theaters, still buy popcorn, candy, and soda, because they still see the value of having a night out versus a night at home.  It all boils down to options.  I only wish I had the ability to share this book in both formats.  Maybe someday I will.

Is this book for you?  Have a peek at one of the opening pages. 


Ready to purchase?  You'll find the e-book here or you can click the cover page at the beginning of the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment